So at one time in your past you  made a mistake; the police  caught you with a felony amount of marijuana,  cocaine, or methamphetamine.  You were charged  in Minnesota with the felony offense of  Controlled Substance Crime in the Fifth Degree. You may have been  convicted of the felony offense  or plea bargained the case down to a Stay of Adjudiction.  You  served your sentence and have been discharged from probation. Now What?

If the case resulted in a conviction, the MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension  has a record of it available  online for the public to inspect, including your employer. If you received a Stay of Adjudication,  your entire criminal file is still  available at the courthouse for  public access.

What can you do to prevent a prospective employer from finding out about your mistake? Easy, consult with an experienced Minnesota expungement attorney about sealing the file from public view. Under a new law that went into effect in Minnesota on January 1, 2015, you may now seal all records pertaining to your arrest, criminal charge, and conviction. The new statute allows for the sealing of police records, court records, and the BCA record of your conviction. If you received a Stay of Adjudication, you are eligible to immediately file for an expungement. If you were convicted, you will need to wait 5 years after discharge from probation before filing an expungement petition.

If you are interested in sealing your 5th Degree Controlled Substance case from public view, do it now and protect your future. Call Minneapolis expungement attorney Robert J. Shane at (612) 339-1024 for a free phone consultation.