Yes, minors are entitled to have legal representation in juvenile court. If they are indigent, the court will appoint an attorney to represent them. Minors are entitled to many of the same rights as adults including the right to remain silent and to confront and cross-examine witnesses at trial. These rights are guaranteed to juveniles by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. The right to counsel in a criminal case is guaranteed to adults by the Sixth Amendment. The only right not guaranteed to a juvenile is the right to a jury trial. Juveniles are limited to having their criminal cases tried before a judge without a jury.

If you or someone you know has been charged with a criminal offense in juvenile court, you will need an experienced juvenile defense attorney to defend their freedom. Contact Robert J. Shane at (612) 339-1024 for a free phone consultation or visit his website for more information about juvenile criminal cases at