What should you do if you think a warrant may have been issued in Minnesota for your arrest? The first step is to call the warrant office of the sheriff’s department in the county where the offense occurred and make the necessary inquiries. You will need to provide your full name and date of birth to the warrant officer. If the warrant information cannot be provided to you over the phone, you could have a friend or relative go to the warrant office and request the information on your behalf. You may also be able to find out by going online and checking the sheriff’s department website for arrest warrants. Finally, you could contact a local bail bonding company and they will conduct a free warrant check for you.

If a warrant has been issued in Minnesota for your arrest, how do you clear the warrant? The best practice is to take care of the warrant while staying out of jail. Why turn yourself in at the jail if you don’t have to? A bail bonding company can make arrangements to help you post a bail, clear the warrant so it is no longer active, and obtain a court date for you. You can also go to the warrant office yourself and post a cash bail. A warrant office will typically not accept a check or money order. You also have the option of turning yourself in at the county jail. You should do this at the last possible moment but still in time to insure that you will appear before a judge the following morning. Your counsel will have an opportunity to argue for a reduced bail at your initial court appearance and may be able to obtain you release without bail.

If you or someone you know has an outstanding Minnesota arrest warrant, you will need an experienced criminal defense attorney to gain your prompt release from custody and defend your freedom. Attorney Robert J. Shane has 28 years of criminal defense experience ready to work for you. Call now for a free phone consultation at (612) 339-1024 or visit his website for more information on arrest warrants at www.criminallawyerminnesota.com.