I would always advise against representing yourself in any criminal case. If you are convicted of a shoplifting offense, you will have a misdemeanor conviction on your record open to public view. The conviction will adversely affect your ability to obtain housing and employment. Please hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to protect your future. Call attorney Robert J. Shane for a free phone consultation at (612) 339-1024 or visit his website at https://www.criminallawyerminnesota.com.